Tuesday, July 15, 2014

We Were Adopted First

Ephesians 1:5 - God decided in advance to adopt us into his own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ. This is what he wanted to do, and it gave him great pleasure.

Today I have an update and something that we've been learning as we go through the adoption process. 

First the update: So, July 3 we submitted our formal application to Bethany Christian Services. And we are waiting to hear, because they need a note from my doctor. That's right, because my ovaries don't work they need a note from my doctor explaining that I will be healthy enough to be a parent and explaining why I'm on the medicines I'm on. So, we are frustrated because this is taking a while, and seems pretty silly. But we are confident that this will not be a reason for us not to be accept.ed. But we are also praying through this wait and praying for acceptance into the Ethiopia program. Tonight we are going to the BCS office in Fairfax for an information meeting, and we will get to meet our case worker. We are looking forward to it, but nervous since we haven't been accepted yet.

While we are waiting God is teaching us some important lessons. We've been told our whole lives that we are children of God, and that we have been adopted into His family. I think that this alone has a whole new meaning for me. As a future adoptive parent I understand the bond with a child that is not biologically mine, and that is not even a blip on the radar yet. I also feel that I can really put into perspective the idea that God chose us before the foundation of the world to be His children. Of course, my understanding of this is on a much smaller scale. We have chosen to be parents of a baby half the world away that we have never met, before she is born, and that will have who knows what experiences, family history, and who knows what else. We don't know who she is yet, and we still love her so much. And the indescribable love that we have for this baby we don't know is only a fraction of how much God loves us, and a fraction of what it means that God chose us so long ago. I wish I could explain in writing what God has been teaching me, hopefully this gives you a little glimpse of what I'm learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment