Thursday, June 2, 2016

2 Years Later

2 years ago TODAY (June 2) we made the official decision to adopt. Of course, we talked and prayed about it before then, but June 2 was THE DAY.

You can read about what last year on this day looked like here.

This year, June 2, we have been waiting for 16 months and a few days.

I Love this picture! These elephants are so cute! 


Last year we did a puzzle piece fundraiser, and here is (most of) the end result! For some reason the picture cut the sides off. But we raised a good amount of money doing this, and it was so easy and great to see how many people wanted to support us.

So, now we are 2 years in to this adoption process. We have completed a homestudy (twice), 2 years of training for the state, got 3 grants, raised around $2,500. We have connected with a ton of people through social media and in real life because of our adoption. The adoption community is one of the best there is. We have learned a LOT about adoption, foster care, and orphan care. We have learned to LOVE and GRIEVE adoption. We have learned to love birth families and appreciate their role in adoption and in their child's life. We have seen people bring home babies and celebrated with them, will also grieving our empty nursery and empty arms. The last 2 years have been hard, really hard, but I wouldn't trade them, because I know this will bring us to our baby, and it has changed us for the better in so many ways. We have new friends, a new community, and such a great support system for when we bring our little one home that we wouldn't have had otherwise. 

One thing about adoption is that it shows you your strengths, weaknesses, failures, successes, and struggles in ways you could never imagine. You will get to know yourself better than you want to. It is like a microscope into your life. I have learned that I don't have the patience I thought I did. I have asked God questions I never thought I would. I have learned that my anxiety gets the best of me more often than I would like. I've learned that I'm more selfish than I want to be or should be. But, I also learned that I am stronger than I thought, on days when I thought I couldn't do it anymore, with God's help, I got through it. My faith is stronger than it has ever been because I can't do this wait alone. I have learned that I have more love for people who need it than I thought I did. And of course, none of this is my own doing, I have these strengths because of God and His strength and His love for me. 

If you're thinking about adoption, just be ready to be shown things about yourself you may not like, have your faith stretched in the hardest way, and your heart opened more than you ever thought it could be. 
Adoption is HARD, but it is also so good, and it will one day complete our family. Hopefully, next year on June 2, 2017 we will have our child, the one we have waited so long for, but until then, we will continue to wait quietly, hope, and rely on God's strength. 

Please continue to pray for us! Pray for our hearts as we wait, pray for God's peace and patience to work in our lives. Pray for our baby to come home to us soon, but pray for God's timing. Pray in all things that God's will is done. Pray for our finances to come in. We still have a lot to pay for.
If you want to or can donate, just hit the button on the left and it will take you to our paypal site. If you want to help in another way check out this blog post here

And always, if you have questions please ask we are more than happy to answer. 

With love, 
Kristen 



1 comment:

  1. Praying for you. I admire your positivity.

    ReplyDelete